Saturday, January 26, 2013

C-Section and the Days that Follow

For many mommies to be, like myself, you imagine your water breaking, contractions, pushing, then holding a beautiful baby :)! NO BIG DEAL...just like T.V...RIGHT? While that sounds really good...NEWSFLASH...its not that simple for most. In my case our "directionally challenged" as the nurse called him,son, decided he wanted to stay put for a while longer and WOULD NOT move down into the birth canal. OH BELIEVE ME WE TRIED! My sweet nurse tried every trick she could think of...I literally think one time she basically had me standing on my head. After none of the tricks seemed to work...C-Section it was! By this time (around 12 hours of labor)  this mommy just wanted her little man in her arms.
The actual surgery was no big deal for me! Once Jason got to come in the OR I was just ready to get the show on the road. Of course there were thousands of emotions from excitement, to scared, to worrying all flooding my mind at one time, but those were quickly changed to just excitement after hearing the sweet cry of this SWEET boy!
While the actual surgery was no big deal for me it was the hours, days, and couple of weeks after that were a little rough. I know for myself I have never really thought about it as being a major SURGERY, but I now have a new outlook. It's no longer just a c-section it is a SURGERY with a beautiful baby as my reward.
For those of you who have never had a c-section or may be having one soon here are a few things I found helpful!
  • Rest and Do Not ”Over Do” It- I know this is easier said than done, especially since there is a new baby.Not only have you just had  abdominal surgery, but you are caring for a brand new baby.  The laundry, and housework can wait. 
  • Let Others Help Out-  Easier said than done. This is one time in your life where you will need help is after having a C-section with a new baby.While in the hospital let others change diapers and care for the baby. Get help from someone when going to the restroom and taking a shower. STRANGE I KNOW...but believe me you will need help. Poor Jason did things to help me out that he probably thought he wouldn't be doing for at least 50 years!  Let your husband cook dinner or friends bring you dinner.  Let friends help you with small tasks like throwing clothes into the washing machine. 
  • Follow the Discharge Instructions and Medicine schedule- Sometimes we may try to ignore some of the discharge instructions. Obviously, the health-care providers know best. They tell you not to climb stairs for a reason...believe me it's painful! Take medicine for the first few days even if its just Motrin. You may think you are ok, but it really does help ease the pain. The suggestions really are given to ease the pain.
  • Have A Pillow Nearby You Can Hold Up Against Your Incision- Standing, walking,  coughing, and laughing after a C-section is not fun. To help with the pain hold a pillow into the incision/stomach area and it would help support the muscles in that area. This helped me so much!
  • Have Something To Prop Yourself Up In Bed With and Something to Step on to Help Get Out of Bed- While I was in the hospital, any time I wanted to sleep or rest, I could just hit the button on the bed, and it would adjust into a position I could be comfortable in. After coming home, trying to lay down flat in bed was awful. I needed to be reclined, so multiple pillows were necessary. The hubby made a trip to Target shortly after coming home for pillows. Also, trying to get out of the bed which is a couple feet from the floor was very hard. Quickly, our cute little storage bench/ottoman in our bedroom became a nifty stepping stool. This made life so much easier for me.

  • ALL-in-ALL the c-section experience was not too bad! I would do it again for sure, and I have heard from multiple people that its not as bad the second time for some reason. WHO KNOWS...maybe in SEVERAL years I will be able to tell you.For now...I am enjoying my time with this cutie!
    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
    Link up with Angela and Katie

    4 comments:

    1. I definitely underestimated the severity of C-Sections before Coop. Like you said, it is MAJOR surgery. I have new respect for C-section Mamas like us. Great post Sister! Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Girl it's no joke! I love reading your blog by the way and keeping up with Mr. Cooper.

        Delete
    2. That was a terribly rough day for Momma!! I can't imagine trying to nurse with a sore tummy! Lovin all of these posts! Keep it up. ; )

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you sweet friend. I am trying to get better at this blogging thing.

        Delete