Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Caleb's "BIRTH"day

When Jason and I went for my 39 week checkup everything was going just as it always did. Weight, urine sample, mommy's BP looks good, Caleb's heart rate is perfect and they would always tell me the same thing "LOOKS GREAT WE WILL SEE YOU NEXT WEEK". Today, at the end of my appointment I was expecting to hear "LOOKS GREAT WE WILL SEE YOU NEXT WEEK", but instead she said are you ready to have a baby next week? I was so shocked to hear her say this because she had previously told me that I could go a week past my due date. Needless to say, I said "yes" and we decided to come up with a plan for induction. Our plan was to arrive at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 12th to begin induction and Caleb would be born sometime on Thursday, September 13th. After leaving the doctor that day I felt such at ease to know that we had a plan and to know that within a week or sweet boy would be here. I continued to work each day all the way up until the day we went to the hospital to be induced.

On Wednesday night we stopped at Arby's for my "last meal" and then went to the hospital to get checked in. We were set up in a room and I was connected to the most annoying monitors ever that monitored my heartbeat and Mr. Caleb's heartbeat as well. ( On a side note...these things make for the most uncomfortable sleep ever because every time I would move half an inch they would get moved from the correct spot and wouldn't pick up the heartbeat which in turn would set off the most annoying beeping sound. This happened COUNTLESS times throughout the night)! I was told to try to get some rest, but who can sleep knowing in a few hours you are going to have a CHILD and not to mention my annoying friend the beeping monitors? They came in around midnight and set up IVs and  and by 12:30am I was receiving Pitocin. I was able to sleep "close my eyes and think about a million things"  through the night .
At around 6:30, the doctor came to examine me and check my progress. He broke my water and inserted the intrauterine pressure catheter to monitor my contractions. At this point, I was 2 cm, and contractions were strong and very consistent.The contractions became MUCH, MUCH more intense after he broke my water. After they broke my water and my contractions became more intense so did the pain. I made it until about 9:00 before getting my epidural. Getting an epidural is something that has always scared me a little knowing that it is a big needle that has to go in a little area. To my surprise it wasn't bad at all.  It was uncomfortable, but it wasn't like I wanted to scream or cry.
They did lots of blood pressure checks and quick little exams to make sure I wasn't going to have a bad reaction to the epidural and this mommy was good to go.  After a few minutes, I was good to go and all parts that needed to be numb were numb. Our families came back in the room and I put on my make up and got my hair fixed.  This Momma wanted to be looking good  to meet her little man and for pictures!  They checked me throughout the day and contractions got worse, but they weren't really bothering me so the epidural was definitely a must for me...I can't possibly imagine having to feel all of that pain.

So the day went on with several "checks" and not much was happening. I stayed 2 cm pretty much all morning. My sweet nurse sat down and had "the talk" with me. She told me that if I had not progressed any when my doctor came by around lunch time that she was probably going to suggest a c-section. We talked about the pros and cons of each and I was ready to hear from my doctor. At around 1:30 p.m. my doctor came by. Before checking she had "the talk" with me that my nurse had prepped me for. After our "talk" she checked me and I was at 4cm. After having some progression she decided to let me continue to labor and hope that I would continue to dilate and that he would begin to drop because he was still up VERY high. I could tell that she was very concerned that he was still up so high! She told me she would be back to check me at 5:00.

At 5:00 she came back to check and nothing had really changed. She said I had dilated a little more, but that our child was directionally challenged because instead of coming down into the birth canal she thought he was actually higher. After hearing this news and another "talk" C-section it was. I was then put in line for a c-section and now would just be hanging out until time for the c-section. This at first was no big deal because I was so tired and was just ready to be holding my baby. On the other hand, two hours later when I was STILL WAITING in line it became a big deal. By this point I was having serious contractions but all of my medicine was stopped to prepare for c-section, my BP had gotten really high, I had a fever of 100.1, I was feeling EVERY CONTRACTION in my back and I was one tired and ILL mommy.

Finally, at around 7:00 I was taken back to have the C-section. They get everything prepped and set up and then they let my hubby come in. After Jason got in the room it was show time. They begin to make "the cut" and it wasn't long before I heard them say " I see a big ol head"... "Oh my goodness...I see a big ol boy". In my mind, I am thinking big...7lbs or so. I then hear another nurse say, "Oh my goodness girl you birthed a toddler". I am still thinking yay he is healthy and has some meet on his bones.
At 7:38 p.m.  Caleb Alan Ross was born at 9lbs 4 oz and 20 3/4 inches long.
He came out screaming which was the most beautiful noise I have ever heard. Hearing that screaming and crying let me know that I was about to meet the little boy I have loved, carried and dreamed about for 9 months.

Getting to see our sweet boy before he got all cleaned up!

Getting all of his stats!
Mommy's first time to hold her SON! I will never forget this moment and kissing those little chubby cheeks!
Daddy's first time to hold his little buddy! I am so in LOVE with both of these boys!
Our First Family Photo



Going Back to our room to meet all of Caleb's family and friends!
Everyone got a quick glimpse of our sweet Caleb and then it was time to get him all cleaned up and to eat. All of his visitors were asked to leave for about an hour and then they could come back and hold him. Due to the fact it was so late only the grandparents stuck around, but everyone else returned the next day for their turn to get their hands on him :)
Big Daddy and Momma T getting their first glimpse of their little man
His aunts who are going to SPOIL him :)
Over the next two days we had so many precious friends and family who came to visit us in the hospital. It made this mommy so happy to know that we have so many people who love us and wanted to share in this special time with us.These few days in the hospital were some VERY ROUGH days for this mommy. My husband helped me and did things for me he probably never dreamed he would have to do. He was amazing and I could never thank him enough. My mom was also a wonderful helper. I could not have done it without these two. I have never given much thought to a c-section, but it is no joke. It is an abdominal surgery and it is no joke. Getting out of the bed for the first time was AWFUL. I just wanted to cry like a little baby.Removing the bandage and taking a shower was another  adventure and I would have never imagined having to have my husband, my mother and my nurse ( a stranger) all in the shower with me, but that happened!
Finally on Sunday at around 11:30 we were discharged and headed home as a family of 3!

The next few days were a mix of millions of feelings and emotions. I laughed, I cried, I screamed, I hurt and the list goes on and on! All in all this was a wonderful experience. I had wonderful doctors and nurses, wonderful family, wonderful friends and we are blessed with a beautiful healthy baby boy! Praise Jesus!
" I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him"
1 Samuel 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment